Banana bread and Nutella are a match made in heaven. This traditional banana bread recipe paired with Nutella and walnuts is simply irresistible. It’s moist, delicious and so easy to make.
Since I was adding Nutella to this recipe, I only used 1/2 a cup of sugar and it’s the perfect amount. Bananas are naturally sweet, so you don’t need a lot of sugar. Actually, this banana bread recipe isn’t too high in fat either; it calls for just one egg and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, but somehow it still tastes decadent, even without the Nutella. You can easily adapt this recipe to make it vegan by substituting a flax egg, non-dairy milk and vegan chocolate.
This banana loaf is a quick an easy dessert that you can throw together in ten minutes if you happen to have a couple of ripe bananas kicking around. You can skip the Nutella if you’re watching your calories; it will still satisfy your sweet tooth. I hope you like it as much as I do. Please let me know in the comments if you make it.
Nutella Banana Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (reserve 2 tbsp for the top of the loaf)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk or non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (approximately 2 large ripe bananas)
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
Grease a 9X5X3 inch loaf pan.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter. The batter will be a bit lumpy.
Pour half of the batter into the greased loaf pan.
Put the Nutella in the microwave for 15 seconds. Use a spatula to spread a thin layer of Nutella on the batter.
Pour the remainder of the batter on top. Top with chocolate chips and walnuts.
Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
Allow the loaf to cool completely before serving.
- You can substitute the Nutella filling with a cinnamon sugar filling. That would make it more of a banana coffee cake. Both variations are delicious. To make the cinnamon sugar filling, combine 3 tbsp of brown sugar and 3 tsp cinnamon.
- To make a flax egg, combine 3 tbsp of water with 1 tbsp of flax meal. Stir to combine. Let it sit for five minutes and stir again before adding to your batter.